DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default A little blast from the past...

I was looking for some old emails and discovered that my current system's Eudora Outbox does not have any emails from 2008. As I have quite a few old systems residing in my dining room--they were supposed to be tidied up and given away but have languishing--I decided to bring an old Sony Vaio laptop (weighs a ton and a half!) into my office den to see if those missing Eudora emails might be on the system.

I let the laptop charge overnight and with a bit of trepidation booted it up. Ahhhh....WinXP...so lovely and...slow but surprisingly not as glacial as I had expected...'-}}

I used this as a backup system for a while so had installed pretty much all the software I have been using for eons one of which included WinCim which I opened after checking the Eudora install--no 2008 emails in the Outbox there either.

I opened WinCim and attempted to access any of the Filing Cabinet entries only to get a couple of different error messages. I tried rebuilding the database but that only made things worse as pretty much every folder was now empty. I also tried to use ShowCim (if you don't remember, it used to convert cserve formats to text) and it also didn't get me anywhere so I left it for the evening.

Today, I deleted the Filing Cabling data on the Vaio and then copied the Filing Cabinet data from an external drive which worked quite nicely as all my Filing Cabinet entries were now fully accessible. I opened ShowCim and finally fiddled around enough to figure out how it works. I have converted 5-6 different Filing Cabinet folders from cserve format to text and I've decided that I'm going to work through all the Filing Cabinet folders converting most of them to text which I'll copy from the Vaio to an external drive (and perhaps my main desktop system).

It's very strange looking at these old forum posts and emails. I have a Bruce Fraser folder that I converted and skimmed through the entries and there's quite a bit of still useful info there.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote