DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Adobe...can it be any more annoying, Part 2?

Yesterday afternoon, I was trying to look at some photos online (part of a magazine spread) only to discover that the site uses Flash and Mozilla (in its infinite wisdom) was blocking Flash in Firefox--I'd read about this ca-ca a few days ago but this was my first experience with the issue. I don't generally update software willy-nilly and usually have auto-updating turned off but given the block, I decided that I'd go ahead and update Flash.

I have always found Adobe's approach to updating Flash (and Reader for that matter--see what is now part 1 of "Adobe...can it be any more annoying?") frustrating on a number of levels. My update attempt was more frustrating than usual because, after unchecking that stupid crapola McAfee option and downloading the Flash particle, I kept getting a weird script error. The first time it happened, I figured maybe the particle was corrupt so I downloaded it again--of course I had to because Adobe in its infinite wisdom deletes the particle--ending with the same error result. I rebooted (we'd had a power failure and I thought maybe there was something icky in my current session), downloaded yet again and received the same error result, yet again. This sent me on what turned out to be a half-hour search for the full download version of Flash (vs. the stupid particle).

Why can't Adobe offer the full version on the same webpage that it offers the particle and if it can't then why does Adobe make it so difficult to find the full version? I eventually found it via a browser search link to a post in the Adobe forums--someplace I've not been in eons. The full version installed with no problems and...without having to worry about crapola extras...

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 07-18-2015 at 12:40 PM. Reason: fix link
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote