DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
Paul

Default What is it with people?

Or: why don't people proofread when they have the opportunity?

I should have learned this when I worked in bureaucracies, where everything had to be approved at multiple levels, but I've just discovered again (see "The curious case of the unflipped comma" in the Type section) that many people don't take things seriously until they're in final proof stage, or until after they've been printed.

I have the peculiar idea that people should check the things that matter to them at the first opportunity, not at the last or when it is too late. To take a different example, our newsletter this month says that a certain program begins at 7:00 p.m. The person in charge approved that article in draft almost five weeks ago and the newsletter was printed and mailed in the middle of February. Today he expressed surprise that the article says 7:00 and not 7:30.

I know that, to some people, copy isn't real when it's in typescript. That's why I often give copy that needs approval to people in the page layout. Gornisht helfen.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote