DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
Ronald

Default Need a Good Image Organizing Database Software

I work as a graphic illustrator for a small company. Our current graphics library is pretty unorganized and we're looking to find a new software for easier searching/organizing. Currently, we have various folders and subfolders and we use ACDSee, which I ignore in favor of the basic Windows search; ACDSee retrieves lots of gratuitous results even when I know the exact file name and sometimes lags.

Our library consists of Flash MX files (.fla) and their JPEG and Flash animation files (.flv, I believe) published from the originals, so it's essentially 3 files per graphic. The JPEGs are always published simply to see the main work file's contents in a search browser. I'm not sure the purpose of the animation file. We don't use any tags as far as I know and I'm trying to implement standards for how we name the files using key words, since my supervisor only gradually seems to realize the importance of this. Lots of old file names contain typos or have the words run together rather than separated with underscores as we currently practice, so it can be frustrating.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good image organizing software? I'm trying to read up on this but most software seems to emphasize photography. Maybe it would be the same principal. My boss might consider paying for software, but I'd also consider freeware programs.

Thank you.
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote