DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Need help with a UPS!

Ok...so this new system is proving to be such a PITA!!! I'm really beginning to think I'm jinxed and that I've spent all this money (that I don't really have) and it's just a MESS!

When I was at the shop yesterday, I asked if my current APC BackUPS RS 700 (700VA/420W) was ok to use with the new system--I'd unplug my current system from the UPS first of course--and I was told, yes, it was.

Today, when I actually picked up the system, they'd done some research and found that the Asus PA248Q specs require a 1000VA UPS so I went looking at newegg and found an APC BR1000G (1000VA/600W) at a reasonable price and ordered it.

THEN!!! I discover that it may not work because the new system uses "active PFC" (whatever that is!) and the APC BR1000G is apparently not compatible with "active PFC".

Of course, I paid an extra $3.99 so that newegg would expedite their processing and it was indeed shipped this afternoon--Thursday. I am going to do live chat with newegg tomorrow--found out about all of this too late for live chat--to see both what I need to do about either not accepting the delivery or sending it back and what UPS they'd suggest.

I"m wondering if the Asus PA248Q monitor may require a 1000VA UPS only if I use the USB3 hub?

What would happen if I were to use my BackUPS RS700 even though it isn't 1000VA?

I am soooo tired of this....

Thanks!

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote