DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default It seems I've retired from doing DTP

When I returned to full time library work, my DTP work dwindled away to a single client, for whom I'd been doing a quarterly magazine. Recently, with an over-committed editor, the issues became a bit irregular, so I didn't worry when I didn't hear from him for a while. Especially as he'd put a plaintive article in the last issue, asking for people to volunteer articles.

One day last week I was scrolling through my emails and discovered that my last email exchange with him was in March, so, thinking that the appeal for articles had probably failed and the magazine was now defunct, I fired off a polite email asking him when I could expect the next issue. This has been my normal practice since the magazine became irregular. No reply.

Then yesterday morning I got an email from the guy who indexes magazines in that subject area for the whole of Australia, asking me nicely to send him a PDF of the inside pages for the last three issues, which he referred to by number. I replied that I had not produced any of those and told him the last number I'd done, and had he received the paper copies. He replied that he did have the paper issues.

Yes, they've got every right to send their work elsewhere, and losing clients is a fact of business, but I'd been producing this magazine for them for 8 years, and the editor always thanked me for doing a great job, so they were obviously happy with the quality of my work. It's just a bit rude not to let me know, and then to ignore my polite enquiries.

And as they were my last client, I can now wind up my company. What makes me cross is that I've just paid my accountant the annual fee for acting as my ASIC agent, and also paid the annual ASIC fee. A total of around $400 that I could have saved if they'd done the right thing. Not to mention an upgrade from CS4 to CS6 and an $800 upgrade to my accounting software, neither of which I need any more and which I upgraded well after they had decided to stop using my services.

Rant over.