DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
Paul

Default Newsletter resources

I don't remember whether I posted anything about the recent developments in the newsletter wars. In September I became the sole editor (replacing a committee), with a free hand to change the format. We went from a compilation of largely unedited columns and announcements in which the least important things occupied the most visible places and everything important was buried to a [somewhat] carefully edited publication with contents organized in proportion to news value.

The other contributors, however, haven't gotten the message. If anything, they've gotten worse: no longer allowed merely to bung everything into "announcements," they've gone silent. No one is writing anything, not even about the events and programs that have actually been planned. Furthermore, hardly anyone is doing any planning, unless you believe that choosing the date for a program constitutes the whole of planning.

So I have been ordered to give a presentation to the leaders of all the constituent organizations about "what a newsletter can do for you."

I need help finding resources for this, especially print (or printable) resources that I can copy and distribute. I can tell them everything that they need to know; I can even use PowerPoint to make it look official. But I know that if it comes only from me, it will be in one ear and out the other, and perhaps not even in at all.

Can you recommend anything? I'm trying to emphasize the ways that a newsletter can help to build a new organization, increase participation, and increase financial support. How to write for a newsletter is less important than just getting anyone to write anything at all.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote