DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Default Best place for a newcomer to Photoshop

Dottie's eldest son is a skibum <g> who lives in Jackson Hole to ski but he's on the injured list at present after a heavy crash broke his lower leg into several pieces, luckily not a compound fracture. Hard to be in a better location for a repair job -- they had two surgeons operating simultaneously patching it up with metal bits and nuts and bolts..... He's already allowed to begin to put weight on it only a few weeks after the surgery and spends most of the day in physiotherapy including pool workouts.

[If anyone gets the Ski Channel he's featured in a section of the movie/video "The Story" about extreme skiiing -- may be in your local ski club one of these days!]

When he called Dottie today he said he needed to talk "about Photoshop" and I suspect that when I speak to him tonight I will not be able to help him -- he mentioned something about getting add-ons for it.

Apart from his skiiing, he writes and has a good artistic feel and he's keeping himself sane and hoping to earn some money doing graphic design for a startup.

He has a HP or Compaq laptop from a few years ago with VISTA on it and it's not that highly configured -- although I think we got it up to 2GB of RAM and a much larger hard drive; he has an external HD also that I made for him from the older 80GB drive I replaced.

I gather the company has provided him with PhotoShop but as to what version of what I've no idea.

The only two places I could think of sending him for help would be here and/or to the Photography Forum on CIS where I see a fair number of posts helping people handle things like layers etc which I've no clue on.

Any thoughts if there's anywhere else that is civilized (not a typical newsgroup!) including which section here to suggest that he posts in -- Imaging seems officially to be the place but it's far from active ...

I'll check back in ....

TIA

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote