DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Finally got a phone

I bought a cell phone yesterday — a no-contract deal from T-Mobile (via Costco), a Sony Ericsson phone (of three options) that the guy recommended as having good audio; he also likes the camera, which is also video — not sure that will matter, but who knows? The phone cost $90 and by investing $100 in 1,010 minutes, they are eternal; if I replenish them before December 6 next year, those also will be eternal.

I barely know how to use it. I showed it to our house cleaner this morning, and she rapidly scanned through all sorts of tricks, just by trial and error. I guess I will learn. Right now I can make a call and think I can answer the phone. I also managed to take a snapshot, a fairly awful one. Small steps.

My account includes online data storage. I can enter a contact list on the computer and then sync it with the phone. Lots easier than typing on the phone, which has several methods of typing, none of them very slick. I can set up five “faves” for unlimited calling; not sure how I would use that, but it may make sense one day.

It even has bluetooth, if I want a headset (not, I think) or some other unnamed sort of device. And it comes with chargers for house, computer, and car. One can sign up for TeleNav GPS service (14 days free, then $8 to $10/month).

The little manual is skimpy, but does include this advice: “Do not attempt to operate your phone charger if it has been … thrown from a speeding motorcycle …,” which struck me as kind of strange. Get the idea they expect the user to be young and foolish.

Anyway, it was easy to do and is fairly cheap (especially if we don’t use it much).

Thanks for all the advice during the endless months that I pondered this silly issue.