DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
Ronald

Default Portfolio Presentation Etiquette

I've read several links on design portfolio tips, but there are a few aspects I'm still unsure of.

For instance, labeling your pieces, which I did for my PDF portfolio but not in my printed version. I just have the item name (website homepage, logo, book cover, etc.) and client name under that. But if it was just a school project or personal exercise, should I not put a "client" name? I figured it would be fine, but I'd hate for an employer to think I'm claiming that I've worked for someone I haven't.

Secondly, when it comes to personal presentation, I suppose I should ask if the employer wants me to guide them through the portfolio and discuss the pieces, or if they want to just go through it themselves. Since I don't have the items labeled, I'd prefer to go through it for them. I also have a visitors guide and fold-out map, which I think I'd show them last, after flipping through the sleeved items.

Is it important to decorate your portfolio case/sleeve? I have a simple black plastic folder with my logo painted on it in acrylic, but with the sleeve texture it's not terribly clean. I'm thinking I might just remove it and leave the folder blank.

Lastly, I found a job opening on a design team that requires a bachelor's degree. I just have an AAS but figured it wouldn't hurt to email my portfolio anyway. Has anyone been hired or know someone who's been hired under such uphill circumstances? I figure my portfolio could speak for itself, and I would cite this in my resume introduction.
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote