DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2005, 10:22 AM   #1
donmcc

Default How do you choose type?

Here is one for all the typographers and designers in the group. I'm writing some curriculum for a typography course, and I'd like to get some pro opinions on the subject of choosing type.

What I would like to know is: How do you choose type? I suspect that for many of you, it is second nature, and breaking it down to the steps that happen almost automatically in your brain might be a bit of a chore, but students have to know and work throught these steps individually (at least until they start to gain some expertise at it). I have my own methods, but will not present them lest they pollute some of your ideas.

It might be easier to explain how you decide what types would NOT work. Use that path if you like.

Secondly, how do you choose a complementary typeface, once you have chosen a primary face? Do you choose text first, and headings after, or vice versa? What are the criteria in making sure that faces work well together. I am especially interested in cases where two serifs or two sans are being selected, since this is (to me) much harder than finding a sans to match a serif.

Thanks for any who can spend the time to help me out.

Don McCahill
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote