DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.
Default Do Ubuntu?

Downloaded Ubuntu this evening onto a bootable CD to see what it's like, and I have to say I find it rather fun.

It runs perfectly well without my having to supply a shed load of drivers (unlike Windows) and it had no trouble with my graphics card, network card, printer and scanner (though it couldn't find the scanner until I'd told it where the printer was, as the two are one device.) I can browse the web, do emails (and attach files from my Windows drive,) and print and scan. OK, so OpenOffice didn't correctly lay out the sheet of address labels I wanted to print, but I expect it would with a bit of tweaking.

The big Dell is starting to get slow and cranky again (bit like its owner) so in a few weeks, after the new version is released, I'll probably upgrade the hard drive to something bigger, and partition it into two to try and do a dual Windows/Ubuntu boot. Has anyone here done this successfully? Looking at the Ubuntu website I can't see whether the installer will easily let me do this as opposed to just having Ubuntu as the operating system.