DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default OCR software (free & windows only)

Many eons ago, one of my older sisters asked if I could digitized my brother-in-law's CV--he was, at that time, a research cardiologist, specializing in electrophysiology of the heart. His CV was 15-20 pages long with most of the pages containing list of journal articles he wrote/co-authored with dense scientific titles.

OCR seemed like the best/easiest way to go and I used the OCR software that came with the scanner I had then--a UMAX. Accuracy was 90-95% which I thought was pretty good and the editing for misspelled/OCR'd words was much easier than typing everything myself.

Flash forward to Wednesday when I received a letter from Comcast that I'm sure Comcast considers to be the last word on their part on problems I've had with closed captioning. The letter is such a crock that I knew I wanted to use parts of it to support the consumer complaint I've filed with the county against Comcast--the letter is just 2 pages but I really didn't want to have to retype the text I wanted to reference. OCR seemed like a good idea.

3 hours later I discovered that not only did I not have the old OCR software I thought I had but the OCR software that I thought came with my newer Epson scanner was also non-existent so I went looking for free OCR software figuring it was probably a lost cause and I'd have to retype the letter from Comcast. I was wrong.

I don't know if it would work for really complicated documents but the letter from Comcast is pretty straightforward text and FreeOCR quickly installed and worked with 99% accuracy--there were only 3 problematic conversions and all were pretty obvious. So I'm very pleased with it and would recommend it to others...

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 08-08-2010 at 01:26 PM.
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote