DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2010, 06:50 AM   #1
RayR

Default OT Font + Tabular Lining + IDCS4 = Crash

I will admit some shame at coming back here after all this time, holding out my hand and pleading for help. But apparently not enough shame to ask for help, because I'm at a loss.

A client chose an OT font from Hoefler & Frere-Jones: Gotham Narrow. It is used throughout a document containing running text, a few lines of tabbed text, and tables. In order to get the numbers to align in the tabbed text and tables, we must turn on Tabular Lining.

The result is that eventually, as we manipulate text close to where Tabular Lining is turned on, InDesign CS3 or CS4 crashes, and crashes hard. This is on a number of Macs (OS versions Tiger through Snow Leopard), it is a clean purchase of the font (the client purchased theirs; we purchased ours), and we've tried it with a variety of font management utilities and without: placing directly in the User Fonts folder, or the ID app fonts folder.

Once it starts crashing, the document seems to become corrupted. If you relaunch InDesign immediately, it will crash again very quickly if a text box is resized or any text near the tabular lining is adjusted. Resetting prefs does not help. Logging out and back in might buy a little more time before it crashes again. A full restart will buy a lot more time, but eventually InDesign will crash again.

Exporting to a variety of formats (INX, tagged text, IDML) and reimporting does not solve the problem. The client's templates were originally in QuarkXPress, and we have tried a variety of ways of conversion.

I could go on with everything which has been tried, including contacting the font manufacturer. But right now we are looking at possibly rebuilding all templates and styles from scratch. I would be delighted if anyone here could offer other options.

Thanks,

Ray Robertson
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote