DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-09-2009, 01:30 AM   #1
john_b

Default PHP connection to MySQL database

I noted recently that a website that I run was down in that none of the PHP scripts could connect to the MySQL database. The site is hosted remotely, I called them as soon as I found out and the problem was solved after a reboot of the MySQL server. There was no apparent reason for the failure...

...so it set me wondering. Had I been away, say for a few days, then the situation could have been more serious and I wouldn't have known anything about it for some considerable time.

I was thinking that instead of what seems to be common practice in PHP of saying connect to the database or display a rather unhelpful error message along the lines of

or die ("sorry, could not connect");

perhaps it would be better to also send an email alert to the administrator saying that there may be a problem.

That seems feasible, but is it a) recommended practice and b) a wise plan, given that it may well swamp your mailbox on a busy site?

On the one hand, if such a problem does arise then you'd like to know about it asap, but on the other hand, might there be an equally serious downside?

John
john_b is offline   Reply With Quote