DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2009, 12:25 AM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default MacBook disses FreeAgent

I bought an FreeAgent external drive for the MacBook, but it's not Mac formatted. And the Mac refuses to play with it.

It saw it when I plugged it in -- the FreeAgent icon's on the desktop -- and asked me if I wanted to use Time Machine with it. I said no, and then tried to copy a test file to the FreeAgent and the Mac said:

"The item [filename] could not be moved because "FreeAgent Drive" cannot be modified."

So does it want me to reformat the drive? Buy it a new drive, and this time make sure I get one that's already Mac formatted? The FreeAgent might be NTFS, which I think isn't compatible with Mac. If I weren't so lazy, I'd hook it up the PC and find out.

The new drive won't go to waste -- I wanted another one for the PC anyway -- so I won't get heartburn if I have to buy another one for the Mac. But ideally, I'd like to have an external drive that'll work on both Mac and PC. I do have an old one that does (I guess it's FAT32), but it makes Funny Noises so I don't want to rely on it even for backups.

UPDATE: Yep, the new drive is NTFS. I unplugged it from the Mac (which complained -- I guess I was supposed to throw it in the trash first?) and into the PC to check.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote