DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
Michael Rowley

Default Typographic competence for translators

In another thread i asked about 'typographic orthography', which I took to mean the same as 'orthotypography' or 'typographic syntax'. Bokor in America and Schöpp in Finland have published papers (the URLs are given in the other thread) emphasizing the importance of some knowedge of the typographic conventions of their target languages—the languages into which they translate.Schöpp has said in one of his papers:

Therefore translation studies should contain a module giving the students (and future translators) something like what I would call a typographic competence (see Schopp 1996: 193-195), which consists of basic typographic knowledge and skills. This competence would enable translators to avoid visual translation problems, to “overwrite” a layout-formatted file but at the same time take into account the typographic conventions of the target culture.

What do you think the syllabus of teaching in 'typographic competence should include?