DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2009, 04:11 AM   #1
Kelvyn
Staff

Default IE8 launches today 19 March

At 16.00 GMT today IE8 is to be released to the World. How well it will be received by the average user remains to be seen. The rendering engine is the most compliant MS has produced, but still lags behind Chrome, FireFox etc in css handling. It may well show problems when displaying sites with "IE fixes" in place - but the user can click an icon and it will use the less fussy IE7 rendering engine. MS has built up a database of larger sites which don't render correctly in IE8, and the browser can check this list and switch to IE7 mode automatically. Web developers can also add a meta tag to their web pages to force IE7 rendering.

To me this all sounds a bit too much. I want to know what my browser is doing when I view a web site, so I will only use it for testing. Having played with this browser since its first released beta it is, IMO, a better browser than IE7 but is a memory hog. The resource problem is apparently associated with the requirement for this "compatibility" requirement.

IE8 will be rolled out in an upcoming Automatic Update.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote