DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default MyFonts 2008 top 10 sellers

MyFonts has announced its top 10 fonts, a list of the “most successful fonts in each genre.”

Two nice scripts: Metroscript exuberant baseball cap lettering (designed by lettering artist Michael Doret) and Corinthia, a cheerful display cursive, a bit on the romantic side, useful for titling or greeting cards (Rob Leuschke | TypeSETit).

Marat (by Ludwig Übele) is a handsome serif face. I can see it for a magazine (cover type, heads, callouts).

Slab-serif fonts Museo and Museo Sans (Jos Buivenga) look useful for advertising or poster type. Three weights of Museo and two of Museo Sans are available free. I kind of like this family, despite my prejudice for k with a crossbar. Pretty numbers, especially in the sans.

I also like Bree (Veronika Burian and José Scaglione) a sans with calligraphic elements (you need to look at it). I like one kind of lowercase roman g, the other one not so much (there are lots of alternate characters, and you most likely find use for at least one in each set). Nice for ads, publicity, campaign cards.

Another sans, Breuer Text, looks useful, especially for magazine use — perhaps because the different weights/styles seem unrelated (by TypeTrust). It also has nice numbers.

Couple of specialized ornamental fonts: One, Floralissimo, based on vintage floral designs — perhaps from wallpaper or fabric (by Gert Wiescher). And another, Darling Monograms, frames and scripty type for creating monogram-like devices (by Crystal Kluge).

And Aviano Serif — which I must confess I actively dislike even though I can see it on a package or in an ad — (by Jeremy Dooley). The character shapes and widths make my teeth hurt. But it has been very successful at MyFonts.com so what do I know?

And one goofy novelty font, HandMade (by Misprinted). Words fail me, so this is what the MyFonts blurb says: “outrageous, incongruous, schizophrenic yet adorable display” font.

Last edited by ktinkel; 01-23-2009 at 08:39 AM. Reason: corrected name
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote