DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Gung hey fat choi

To celebrate the Chinese New Year’s, I decided to make the very first Sichuan dish Jack and I ever had: dry-sautéed spicy shredded beef with carrots and celery.

After many years of practice and refining the recipe, I have learned one sensible thing: do the slicing before-hand. I spent an hour or so after lunch julienning the carrots and celery and cutting up the scallions. Then the actual cooking goes very fast.

And this year, instead of flank steak I used a piece of skirt steak from a local source (range-fed beef). It was incredible. Chewy, even a little tough, yes; but really good-tasting.

Anyway, in case anyone is interested:

Dry-Sautéd Spicy Shredded Beef with Carrots & Celery

1 pound flank steak, cut in 2 X 1/4-inch (or smaller) shreds
3 tablespoons plus 1 tablespoon peanut oil
4 to 6 carrots, shredded to match the beef
4 stalks of celery, shredded to match the beef
1 garlic leek or green tops of 5 scallions, shredded

dried chilis, shredded
1-1/2 inch piece of ginger, shredded
5 scallions, white part only, sliced finely

1-1/2 tablespoons Sichuan (hot) bean paste

Mix together:
2 tablespoons dry sherry
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar

2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon Chinese (or balsamic) vinegar
1 teaspoon Sichuan pepper, roasted and finely ground

Lightly salt the shredded carrots and celery and partially cook them in a microwave or by blanching. Drain and set aside.

In a wok or large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of oil on high. Add beef shreds and stir-fry until dry and quite firm (way over-cooked by most culinary standards, in other words). This may take 5 or 10 minutes.

Add the slightly cooked carrots and celery, and the shredded garlic leek or green scallion. Stir-fry to mix with the meat shreds, then continue to stir until the vegetables have begun to soften.

Make an opening in the bottom of the wok, add 1 tablespoon of oil, and then add the chilis, ginger, and sliced white part of the scallions, and stir-fry until fragrant. Stir in the Sichuan bean paste, and then stir to mix all the ingredients together. Stir the sherry, soy sauce, and sugar mixture, then pour it in, and stir to distribute with the meat and vegetables.

Add the sesame oil and vinegar, stir to distribute. Remove pan from the heat, sprinkle on Sichuan peppercorn powder, stir briefly, and serve.

Here is a picture of the dish.