DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
Eric Ladner

Default Line & paragraph breaks in online text

'm trying to copy a large amount of online text, in disconnected chunks, into either Word or a text editor, and thence to InDesign for page layout. (This is a legitimate project, with the author's permission, but copying the online text is the only way I can obtain the material.)

Word (2004, Mac, but I also have 2007 for Windows, if that helps) interprets the end of every line and the end of every paragraph, as a single paragraph break. TextWrangler sees them both as carriage returns. The problem is that, since they're all the same, I can't figure out how to remove the line breaks, which I don't want for page layout, without also removing the actual paragraph breaks.

When I look at the html, I see that lines are ended with <br> and paragraphs with <br><p>, so it seems there should be a way to get Word or the editor to recognize this distinction instead of stripping it out, as they seem to be doing.

I suppose I could work directly on the html, but then I'd have a lot of other garbage to clean up, too.

I'm really frustrated not to be able to figure this out for myself, but it seems like something that must come up frequently. Does anyone have a solution that would let text within paragraphs flow properly, but maintain the breaks between paragraphs?

Thanks, as always, for any suggestions.

--Eric
Eric Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote