DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2008, 12:14 AM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default Buying a bi-platform external HD

Client gave me an external HD (Maxtor One-Touch) in August that had their old Mac job files on it. HD croaked last week. (Not a huge deal, since I had made two backups of the files onto other devices.)

Client wants me to pick out a new external HD. 500 GB or larger. It needs to be one that can be used both with my PC and their Mac. I don't want to do any drive reformatting, I want it to be ready to go on both platforms.

And I am not going to buy a case and an HD and assemble my own, as superior a solution as that may be.

I need to buy something off the shelf (or more likely an online vendor's shelf) that I can hook up to my PC, copy the client's old job files onto, and send them the new drive which they need to be able to hook up to their Mac with no strife.

Suggestions? Much as I like my own Seagate FreeAgent, it doesn't say it's Mac compatible. KT, you have a FreeAgent, right? Did you have to reformat it to get it to work with your Mac?

Drive should have both USB and FW ports, since I'm not sure what the client has, and asking them would be pointless. And I want to get something with a decent reputation for reliability.

TIA,

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote