DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Big Medium 2 CMS software

Global Moxie has announced the second major version of its easy-to-use content management system Big Medium.

I played around with the original Big Medium. I thought it was very well done and relatively easy to use (although you always have to at least learn the lingo to grasp the essentials). But at the time I had half a dozen sites on different hosts and the cost would have been staggering. Since then I have been using WordPress, and find it satisfactory, but may consider Big Medium again now that I have most of my sites on a single server.

If your main interest is in a non-blog web site — for an online portfolio, say, or for a small business — or if you manage a community site with unsophisticated editor/users, Big Medium may be a good choice. It seems to be well thought out, and developer Josh Clark seems always to be available with advice or further instructions.

The software uses Perl, not PHP. I am not enough of a techie to explain (or even understand) the implications of that. I only build small sites, so do not know how it would work with a very large one, or one with tons of daily changes (but I suspect you would be better off with something like Joomla! for that sort of thing).

I see that he has a quote from me on his site saying I admire the Big Medium instructions prodigiously. Well, I certainly did; if I check out version 2, I will let you know if it lets me down this time.

This is not open source software; and it is not free. For some the cost will be a deal-breaker. For others, it may represent good value. Once you pay the fee, you can use your installed version forever; after a year, you need to pay an annual fee to maintain the service plan, which includes free upgrades.

A 30-day free trial is available at the Global Moxie site; after that it costs $185 per installation (which may include any number of sites on a single server).