DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Small site easy-to-use CMS (beta)

SkyBlueCanvas is (or will be when it gets out of bets) a free and open source CMS for small sites (fewer than 100 pages, no more than 3 managers, 2 or 3 page layouts/templates) — the developer says it is a “brochure style web site.” It is designed to be used by “almost anyone” once it has been installed and set up.

Among its features: valid XHTML 1 Strict output; XML data storage (no database required); small (3.5 MB); search-engine friendly URLs; built-in RSS feed; supports plug-ins, and there are quite of few of them.

The example page (in the link) is simple and elegant. It is designed to produce XHTML Strict.

I have not played with it (yet), but it appears to me to be just about exactly what I have been trying to do with WordPress by ignoring or killing off many of its standard features.