DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2008, 12:12 AM   #1
iamback

Default Practical? not! Don't do this. In fact, don't even read this.

via Twitter, I landed here: The Elements of Typographic Style Applied to the Web - a practical guide to web typography. Still a work in progress. And scary.

What else can I say? Interesting. And wrong on so many counts, I won't even start. Wait, I will: It's hard to read, to begin with!

It starts from the unspoken premise that typography for printed material can be applied to the web. Numerous tests have shown that is wrong, but that is completely ignored here. All it does is it take "Elements of style" and see how it can be applied to the web (not "whether" or "why" or "why not"). The "how", in many cases, is pie-in-the-sky, and often the wrong thing to do (on the web) anyway.

So what we have here is lessons in typography "for the web", in a too-small, serif font, without any extra leading between paragraphs, and with titles in Flash. Even if you have Flash, you'd have to print this to get something legible. FAIL!

There are some interesting techniques here and there, just don't apply them indiscriminately to web pages. But the whole thing is a good illustration of how not to do typography on the web. No doubt it will be picked up by a whole generation of new designers as the new gospel. Don't be among them. Start by learning about the real differences between reading on the web and reading on paper.

Sigh.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote