DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > On Language & Literature

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2008, 06:03 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default LibraryThing

I am having a lot of fun in the library cataloging website LibraryThing.

Saying that you can use LibraryThing to catalog your books is a pale and timid way to describe this rich forum about books and for booklovers. It really is a place for booklovers to learn about other people's books, more about books you own or have recently read, and even books you remember reading long ago.

You can catalog up to 200 books for free. If you want more, and it is quite an effort to enter that many books, you can pay $10 a year or $25 for a lifetime membership. Of course, if you like it, you can pay more right away, and I did. The staff in Boston and the computer expense are paid out of those payments. It seems unlikely, but when you learn that there are over 400,000 members worldwide, it seems entirely possible.

Two cautions:

Choose your login name carefully. Do you want everyone to know who you are? Maybe you want to be relatively private? You can choose either way, but think ahead.

Lois mentioned something about not having enough fingers for the various pies she is in, or something along that line. Time management can be a problem if you get addicted to this large and lively forum. I suspect that my initial indulgence in doing little else online has worn off now that I have over a hundred books in my LibraryThing (abbreviated LT) library.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote