DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
Ronald

Default Book Publishing: Payment, Etc.

Hi, everyone. This is my debut post.

I recently met a man that's interesting in publishing a children's picture book he's writing. While he's never worked in the genre, he claims to have written academic books that can be found in most major colleges. The man asked if I'd like to illustrate the children's book he's working on. He says that he's currently finishing writing and looking for a publisher. We've just starting discussing the project and he thinks the profits could be split 60% (him) and 40% (me). As a young college student, I would be fine with this, as I'm mainly interesting in recognition and a great addition to my graphic design/illustration resume.

He doesn't seem suspicious or anything, but I hardly know the man at all. So I'm somewhat concerned regarding proper payment and recognition on the project should it come to fruition. Is there a good source of information where I can find the nature and (legal) standards regarding book publishing and payment, or could you personally help me? Contracts, money, and other related matters are of my curiosity.

I'd also like to know more about the illustration process; my graphic design teacher says that most children's book illustrations are created a few hundred times larger than the actual scaled-down end product. She also says that the number of illustrations and content (human figures, etc.) makes a difference in payment.

I'm not paranoid of course; I just want to be educated and protected. I've been told to research on AIGA.org and look into finding a proper contract. The author claims to be looking into publishing details as well.

Thank you.

Last edited by Ronald; 02-21-2008 at 07:27 PM. Reason: More details
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote