DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Linux hosting...why so complicated???

I use myhosting.com as my webhost and about 6 months ago they were going increase the monthly rate for their Basic Hosting option from $9.95/month to something like $15.95/month. With a bit of trepidation I changed my subscription from monthly to 6 months just before the rate increase hoping to get the $9.95/month rate and I was indeed able to stave off the increase for 6 months.

Well...my 6 months are almost up (I got an email from them that my renewal was coming due) and the other day I finally got around to getting over there to see what the current rates were and discovered that they now offer a Basic Hosting plan for $6.45/month on a Linux server (is "server" the correct term? I think so...)

In the past when they've had promos with a good rate, I've just had to click on their "sign up now" button and life is good...

Didn't work that way this time and no matter how I tried to sign up for this option, I kept getting error messages so I emailed support and asked for help...

The answer I got was that if I wanted to switch to the Linux server, I would have to cancel my account and then (somehow) reestablish my account with the Linux Basic Hosting option which I think is just weirder than hell...

In the meantime, I discovered that in addition to my current Windows server option, I can also--for free--use a Linux server and so I emailed support asking if I were to use the Linux option doing whatever is necessary to set up my site, would I still have to cancel my account or could they just (somehow magically, all done with smoke and mirrors) "move" me to their Linux Basic Hosting?

I was told that no...I would still have to cancel my account (or...new option...downgrade to their free domain parking plan and then sign up again for my own account).

I have reset my current account to be billed monthly to give me a chance to figure this all out...

Now...

What I know about Linux wouldn't fill a very small thimble but does this really need to be as complicated as they are making it? The programmer in me says that a nice little app should be able to if not copy my site to the Linux server, at least it should be able to modify my account data so that instead of pointing to the Windows Server, it points to the Linux server...

Am I wrong about this?

Lastly...if I do go through all this pita-ness, will I find that the front-end of my site administration significantly different from the current Windows Server front-end which is quite straightfoward and easy to use?

Thanks...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote