DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Oddity in inserting an image in WordPerfect 8 in WinXP

I thought I'd post about this even though there probably aren't that many people still using WordPerfect 8 but also maybe it will show up in a browser search earlier and someone else won't spend 2 hours looking for an answer...'-}}

I wanted to create a label for a piece of artwork I was doing and I do my labels in WordPerfect putting in one of my logo images, the title, my name and email address--WordPerfect labels option works really nicely with Avery's easy-peel labels. I put the easy-peel label on the backing board and when someone frames the artwork, it's easy for the framer to peel off the label without it tearing and stick it on the frame back.

This was the first time I'd tried to work with an image file in WordPerfect 8 since I got my new WinXP system and I tried to insert a TIF file and WordPerfect 8 kept giving me an error message that the file could not be found. I tried this and that but nothing worked and I was seriously considering installing WordPerfect 12 but decided to browse around the web to see what I could find. Took me a couple of hours but I finally found the solution.

For some reason in WinXP, (drive) Indexing must be turned on for the partition/drive where the images you want to insert into a WordPerfect 8 document reside. Turn on Indexing and WordPerfect8 now sees the TIF files.

I had turned off Indexing on all my partitions/drives because Photoshop7 was aborting when I tried to do a save/save as which needless to say was really annoying. Someone on the Photoshop Users list had suggested turning off Indexing when I asked about the problem and that suggestion worked.

Fortunately, the images I use in WordPerfect are not on the same partition/drive that has the majority of my in-process images.

Hope this proves useful to someone...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote