DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Photography

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
George

Default B & W Photo Cover

Excuse Me!!! Selma Hayek on the Spring cover of Vim & Vigor. There’s a moral issue here, as the magazine is put out by a Christian hospital organization. She’s not exactly a representative of moral purity. Well, she’s attractive, and she is a celebrity. Apparently, they always use a celebrity. But it’s not a career promotion on her part either, the magazine little known, and she is doing well, I think, as the director of “Ugly Betty,” (a take off of “La Fea Mas Bella,” neither of which I’ve watched, but it’s still obvious. But Oprah didn’t do the cover for the promotion or the money either.) But Selma is pregnant, and that is what the article is about. (Who’s the father?)

But why is the cover photo in black and white?? I admit, that it is an interesting photo. Are they trying to take attention away from who she really is, trying to have people look at her in a new perspective, trying to emphasize she is moving into a new stage of life?? It’s not economics, as they have a full page photo of her face on the inside in color, and none of their other covers are B&W. But in this second photo, it’s not traditional femininity that comes out -- the everyday mom, that is. I’ll guess they had to play down her attractiveness in featuring her, and I think that is why it’s just the face.

But still, there’s something about this photo being black and white, that adds overall interest to the image. I don’t know just what.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote