DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Old site, new theme — please look!

I have been working on my cooking site (WordPress), and would like to ask you all to take a look with whatever browser(s) you have. Just viewing it on the same monitor on my computer with Firefox and Safari, I see differences in color, type size, and spacing.

It is a liquid layout that works for me down to about 600 or 700 pixels wide — at which point the righthand column is thrown down below the main text area.

I based it on a new theme called Rapid Access created by a computer programmer (there is a link to it in my footer). He describes it as being very fast-loading. I suspect I messed some of that up, because the designer saved space by deleting most of the space and some comments in the stylesheet and templates, and I couldn’t work that way. (On the other hand, I discarded one whole column and several PHP functions, which should help, no?)

His original CSS file is 12K on my system; my replacement is 16K. Is that enough to make trouble on a busy server? He says that the stylesheet is reloaded with virtually every page load — is that so? I thought one of the big benefits of CSS was that you did not reload formatting instructions over and over.

Anyway, appreciate any comments, as usual! I would really like to work on content, and would like this to be my last theme experiment. (But I see there is a new WordPress update to deal with. Sigh.)