DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Default printing seps to PDFs?

I have something that's going to be printed in two colors (black plus spot), but must be provided as traditional art with halftone dot in place. Art will be shot dot-for-dot and plated. Software: InDesign. Printer: new Xante Accel-a-Writer at the office (such a gorgeous beast, but I digress!).

I've assigned magenta to be the spot color's alias (to simplify things and preserve the drop shadow effects the guy put in). What I haven't been able to figure out is how to get a PDF of the separate plates.

I've got a "printer" called Adobe PDF showing up in my Printer Setup Utility
and fiddling around with its options I found what looks like the Accel-a-Writer 4G PPD I grabbed from the Xante site yesterday and ran the installer for.

Now, it's a puzzle why Adobe PDF is there but unalterable in Printer Setup Util. and it appears with the little (!) symbol next to it in the pop-up menu in the print dialog box.

It looks to me like I should be able to use that Adobe PDF thing to set up separate virtual printers with whatever installed printer driver I want, whether or not I have the physical printer available on my network. No? And if I try to print something to it, everything looks like it's sending info to it, but nothing happens after the send and no new files are created anywhere (that I can find) on my system -- they just dont' exist.

So I guess I have at least two mysteries to solve:

1 - why is Adobe PDF there but unavailable, appearing to accept a "print job" but producing nothing?

2 - can I set up virtual printers that will create color-separated PDFs with the halftone dot patterns already in place.

Any other ideas for me? Am I missing something obvious?