DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Help! Setting up new router

I got a new Linksys 8-port router today. Everyone I talked to recommended the darn thing, saying it was a cinch to set up via the web. Hah! They lied. (I set up my old NetGear router via the web without difficulty.)

Linksys requires Windows of some flavor. The CD with all the instructions runs from an .exe file. The only thing the web site tells me to do is set up TCP/IP using DHCP.

Then it asks for the router’s model number and version, and shows me a download site for a firmware update for the router. This is a binary file, but StuffIt says it doesn’t look like one. So I have the thing but have no use for it, evidently.

In the meantime I have the Linksys plugged into the cable modem, and the iMac plugged into the Linksys, and used this setup to download files, log on here, and so on.

What happens if I don’t/can’t apply the firmware update? Can I just set my other items into the router, one by one?

I hate this networking stuff, and I really, truly loathe technical types who make inherently platform-neutral things platform-specific out of sheer laziness.

Time for supper. Or a drink at least. If anyone can advise me, I will appreciate it. The Linksys site offers live chat, but there is no one there.