DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Default Corrupted downloads

Sometimes when files are too large to send comfortably by email or for other reasons, I'll put them up on my site as password-protected ZIP files and send all interested parties the url and the password via email.

The last time I did this, it worked for everyone but two users, one on Mac, the other on Windows, both *smart* people (that is to say, user error is not all that likely).

Not sure what the Mac user's got in the way of software, so let's set that one aside.

The Windows user opened the ( ftp:// ....) URL in IE6, when prompted, saved the file to her desktop and on opening it and copy/pasting the password from my email, couldn't extract any files from the Zip. When she did the same thing in Firefox, it worked.

I tried it here on several computers, all IE6 and it worked w/o problems.

I think I'll ask her to try it again in IE6 to see if it was just pure bad luck. Any other thoughts?

I don't recall ever having had any problems with IE pulling down FTP files in ascii vs binary mode so I don't *think* that'd be the problem.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote