DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2005, 09:27 PM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default Duplicating ID gradients in AI

Oy, enough with the gradients already! Are gradients the new black or what?

I've been given another design/layout template (I'm doing the production) that includes gradients. It's an InDesign file, but I am re-creating the document in Quark, for very good reasons.

The ID file contains eight gradients, and because of the way they are set up, I can't replicate them in Quark (at least not easily). So my brilliant idea was to replicate them in AI, since AI has the same options/settings for gradients that ID has (I'm using ID/AI CS.) Then I can import the AI EPS files into Quark.

What's the best way to redo those gradients in AI? I tried distilling the ID file to PDF, but when I open the file in AI, I get an "Illustrator PDF: Warnings" box that says:

"The document contains PDF objects that have been reinterpreted.

An unknown shading type was encountered."

Same thing happens if I try to copy and paste from ID to AI. (Hey, I thought it was worth a shot.)

I exported the ID pages in EPS format, and those do open fine in AI, without any warnings.

So should I just use the ID-to-EPS-to-AI method? How can I check to make sure the color used in the gradient has not changed? I can't figure out how to find out what color's in the gradient. When I click it, the gradient window thing just shows up as grays.

All of the eight gradients are CMYK colors. These gradients need to be the exact same colors they are in the ID file.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote