DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > On Language & Literature

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
A caution on the large-print editions: I accidently got one, and it was a royal pain to read. They used 16-point Times on 17-point leading with narrow margins all around. I ha to hold the book far away, but there was no space for my hands!
I see (and read) a lot of large print books, because my favourite authors tend to be on the shelf, whereas the adult fiction copies are always out on loan. I also see them when they come through our room at work. They all have small margins – and pulpy paper – because the publishers try desperately to keep the weight down for elderly people with arthritic hands. My main complaint is that they generally don't set the H&Js correctly, so you have huge word spaces and vast rivers of white. I've never seen 16/17 point Times, though – ours usually have fairly decent leading.

With the ageing of the baby boomers, things are looking up in some areas for large print. The editions are starting to come out at the same time as the hard cover adult fiction, and the cover artwork is improving all the time. Sometimes now I see that the mainstream publishers are licensing their covers to the large print publishers. Such an improvement on the old 'plain wrapper' covers.

Oh, and things are improving in the audio books too. Our supplier received our boxed set of the latest Harry Potter less than a month after the release of the print version. It's being repackaged, so I haven't seen it yet.

We'll put the large print editions of Magdalen Nabb's titles on our reissues standing order list because they're more likely to be reissued in large print. I rarely do desk shifts, so don't often have the opportunity to recommend them to people who are borrowing authors like Donna Leon.