DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2007, 06:11 AM   #1
George

Default Curious Publisher??

I have a book from the library from a European publisher (which company goes back to the 17th century and has had a long and close relationship with British and American authors), that came out last year and is still in print. I thought it would cost $30 or $40, but it lists for $187. It is 386 pages total. Why charge that much?? Greed?? (Maybe not – it may be a cultural thing. I was surprised to find once that a British law publishing company wanted payment for a copy in digital form on the internet of a case from centuries past with historical significance. It seemed so peculiar to me, but I guess they have their reasons somehow). But on the subject study the information in this book actually could be used to refute the position this publishing company normally represents (completely contrary to what the title implies), which stance increasingly is being upheld as an outright conspiracy, but at least might have to be considered in the future as a horrific example of promoting a biased view point.

Not long ago, I was looking at another book to do some research on what is now very suspicious historical information, looking for its source. It gave an abbreviated supporting footnote, but there was no list of abbreviations anywhere in the TOC. And it was from the same publishing company. So I was just playing with the pages, and there far back in the book was the list. But the citation of the 18th century work was very different, having the author in italic, and the name of the book not even capitalized but part of a sentence fragment, and apparently it was by the same publisher. Isn’t this peculiar?

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote