DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default GoDaddy and MySQL problem

I am really annoyed. I had a semi-moribund site at GoDaddy with an old version of WordPress on it. Decided to update WordPress by doing a new install.

It was a catastrophe. I backed up the old files, then downloaded the new WP 2.2.1, modified the config.php file, and uploaded the WP files. When I tried to run the WordPress installer I got this error:
Error establishing a database connection.

This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can't contact the database server at mysql111.secureserver.net. This could mean your host's database server is down.
I made sure of the username and password, then tried to check the GoDaddy help files. (Actually, I deleted the files and reuploaded them, and checked and double-checked the config.php file in the process). No help. So I sent a trouble ticket inquiring if the GoDaddy database server was running. This is the reply I got
Thank you for contacting Online Support. You'll be able to find sample connection strings and other basic information at Help.GoDaddy.com. Unfortunately we aren't allowed to support connection coding beyond the samples listed in the help center. Please let us know if we can help you in any other way.
There is no item listed as “sample connection strings” at the GoDaddy help center, but when I figured out how to search there (no easy thing), I did get to a page that explained PHP runtime functions. It was way beyond me (and did not refer to the sort of error I am getting).

Am I being dim-witted? My first impulse is to find another host; I have had problems with e-mail at GoDaddy anyway, and enough is enough. But first I would love to know if there is a way to fix this so I don’t feel like a total idiot.

Any advice?