DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2007, 10:41 AM   #1
Ashlie

Default Printing Problems with Quark 7 and its PDF

I am the marketing/graphic design department for my company and I keep running into printing issues with files that were created by others. My company has about 30 2-page brochures that were created by someone else before I came to the company. I am so busy that I don't have time to re-create these files and so I work with the original and make changes from there. Sometimes they are problem free and sometimes not. Right now I am dealing with a file that was created on a PC in Quark 6. I opened it on my PC and made changes in Quark 7 and everything looked fine. I sent the native file to the printer (after collecting for output of course) along with a PDF and he can't get either file to work. He is using a MAC but I thought MACs were supposed to be able to handle PC files without problems... Anyway, we keep going back and forth and he keeps asking me to do all these specific changes and after I do, he still has problems. He says the fonts are not working and there are problems with the color. I know he only has Quark 6 but even if I save the native file to that version, I don't know if it will work. I don't understand why the PDF doesn't work. I thought PDFs were supposed to be the solution for printing when the printer doesn't have the same programs but there are still problems with the font, color, pictures, etc. I am at a loss and don't know what to do. I am about to just re-create the file in InDesign and see if that solves the problem. However, I have tons of other Quark files that may cause me the same grief. Any ideas?
Ashlie is offline   Reply With Quote