DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
a2a3

Default tiling PDFs or large-format printer?

Hi,

This place looks like a great source of info and hopefully for me, a great source of helpful advice.

I'll looking for advice to help me decide if I need a printer (and/or software) I can use to print patterns that I create. I make and sell 2 dimensional black and white patterns for woodworking, you know, stuff you can cut out and display on your front yard or wherever.

I am fairly skilled with editing and creating my drawings and I typically create PDF's as my final product. And while pretty much anybody can print a PDF from their computer using the free Adobe Reader software, using this freeware does not allow them to "tile" the printing process if they want to make a bigger pattern for themselves. Most people only have 8-1/2x11 paper in their printer anyway. Generally a registered version of Adobe is needed, or, some other software that reads PDFs.

Can someone offer up a source for a freeware version of a software that reads PDFs and allows tiling to enlarge printing on standard 8-1/2x11 paper? If so, that would solve my problem of publishing enlarged patterns since the user could simply download the freeware and print to their own specs.

Otherwise...I have to look at possbily getting a wide format printer that can print on A2 and/or A3 paper. Laser or Inkjet would be considered. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
a2a3 is offline   Reply With Quote