DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2005, 02:16 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default New fax/copier all-in-one

For months I have been sick of struggling with my Xerox fax/copier in which the document feeder never worked properly. Last week I had to get tax stuff together for the accountant, and the need to scan each page into memory in order to either copy or fax was just too awful to contemplate.

Fortunately, a guest had a newish HP printer that he really likes, and he said the same engine was being used in the 3015 laser all-in-one. A nearby Staples had one in stock, so I got it.

I am very pleased. For one thing, it has a straight paper path, which makes using it quite logical. For another, it is really fast. Best of all, the document feeder works perfectly. It has 600 dpi resolution, which is good enough. Cost $300, which isn’t too bad. Toner cartridges are $65 for regular size, $90 for twice as much (and less on the web). If I want to I could connect it to a computer via USB; not sure it makes a lot of sense, as I am not using the scanner.

The only possible defect is that it has no flatbed capability — can’t copy or fax from books or magazines. But I can always use my scanner for those occasions. Or go down to the basement and use the old Xerox, at least until its carbon cartridge wears out.

In case you have similar needs, this is a pretty good gadget.