DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default CRT vs. LCD sizing

I'm not sure I can ask my question in a coherent way but....

A number of years ago, I bought my sister a laptop (Dell) with a 15" screen (obviously LCD) and I noticed as I was getting her system set up for her, that it was essentially the same as my (then) 17" CRT in terms of screen real estate (given the res I set for it which I don't now remember) and I can remembering thinking that was an interesting observation and have kept it in the back of my mind.

In the Actual Browser Sizes (maybe) thread, KT mentioned her LCD monitor size and res settings--20"W x 12.5"H, 1920 x 1200 pixels--and I mentioned that my CRT monitor is 19" (diagonal measure) with a res setting of 1152x864.

I hope to be buying my first LCD panel soon and I was thinking that I would want to get something in the 20-22"-ish range.

This has lead me to again think about what I found with my sister's (now old) 15" screen laptop (and her new 17" screen laptop which appears to be the "same" as my now 19" CRT).

Is there some sort of "formula" (for lack of a better term) for the difference between the "size" of an LCD screen as compared to a CRT--do you understand what I'm really asking???

In practical terms, given my limited experience, would a 19" LCD actually display more than a 19" CRT and if so, is there some sort of calculation I could do that would allow me to make a better judgement of what size LCD to get?

Thanks...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote