DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
jwoolf09

Default Building a specialized link

Back with another complicated problem that (I hope) has a simple solution.

Here's the situation: I have a chunk of material that I want to make into a link. The link-material includes two graphics and some text, which are configured using floats so that the text wraps around the graphics. I want to make the entire thing behave like a single button-style link -- that is, a link that has borders and rollover effects like a button -- using HTML and CSS.

When I simply surround the entire chunk, graphics and text, with an <a href> tag that has the border and other attributes set using CSS, it acts like three links: borders around both images in the link-color, the text is also in the link-color, and areas between the elements are not clickable. By adding another layer and setting a specific width and height, I was able to get the whole chunk to be clickable, but I still can't get rid of the link borders. However, this looks so ugly and clumsy that I can't help but think there's a better way. I also twitch at the thought of redoing this for every one of these buttons on the page (there are nine of them, with different dimensions), and then redoing it if I ever edit the page in future. Is there an easier way to do what I want, something that I can code only once and have it apply to all nine links, regardless of shape or size?
jwoolf09 is offline   Reply With Quote