DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
nipsy3

Default cost of printing on photo paper vs. newsprint

As I stated in my introduction, I'm going to publish a local specialty interest tabloid. I'm going to outsource printing, but was looking for some help on what type of print to move forward with. I've looked at both magazine type tabloids printed on photo paper and also those printed on newsprint, like a newspaper.

From my understanding, newsprint paper is far less expensive, but the majority of the costs come from setting up the printing presses. And these types of facilities are less readily available. There are more places that can print on photo paper and for less money, but the paper costs much more.

It seems that the less expensive choice would come down to quantity. I'm considering printing about 5000 issues every other month. Does anyone have an idea which would be more efficient and maybe a ballpark cost for that many prints?

I plan on calling some print shops for some rough quotes, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Thanks.
nipsy3 is offline   Reply With Quote