DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-29-2006, 12:50 AM   #1
jvecht

Default My publication on Lulu.com

1Good morning!

My niece Nelleke always sends me and my family members e-mails and letters that are wonderful to read. Now she somehow is always in trouble to get work. So one day I suggested to her to use that wonderful talent to write and start writing something.

She first said she did not have so much and then she came forward with a story I personnaly found so beautiful I took all the trouble to get it published. I checked with others first whether they confirmed my views, whether the use of English was good enough and then went ahead.

Having learned how much trouble it takes to get something published through publishers I decided to use Lulu.com, to use Linux and Scribus to produce a pdf as decent as I can in the limited time I have for a really small short story (10 pages only). I know that what I made, what I did, will be full of errors and stupid things. I am no more than an mere amateur ( and quite a nervous one now too).

I will copy the press release below. Any comments are most welcome.

I do not want to attach the actual pdf of the story here, but I will attach the preview. I someone here is willing to review the document I will of course send it by mail.

Small comment before I continue: Nelleke gave me the story, copyright and all, for my recent birthday. I do not intend to keep anything substantial from any revenues ( if there ever will be any), I just use the occasion and circumstances to promote her work. I keep her informed of all actions.

-----
Zoetermeer, 28 Oktober 2007
Press Release

Short story “Let nature have its way” : unique as well as amusing

Is she a new writer comparable to Tjechov or more like Roald Dahl? Or is it just a very nice story to read?

O well, who cares? I really enjoyed reading those 11 pages over and over, something I never do. My good friend and reader pur sang Tim Guiting was really impressed too - and asked for more. I got the story – copyright and all- as a unique gift for my birthday by my niece Nel.

What would be better than share that joy with you all and do some promotion for my niece as well?

Let nature have its way” has been published as an e-book through Lulu, the world's fastest-growing provider of print-on-demand books for digital do-it-yourselfers. One can either print the 11 pages easily on any printer in high quality or read it all on-line.

Production was done through a personal computer running on Linux and with freely available software such as Open Office and Scribus using the also freely available Gentium font.

About Lulu
Founded in 2002, Lulu is the world's fastest-growing provider of print-on-demand books for digital do-it-yourselfers. Think of us as an open marketplace for digital content. An on-demand publishing tool for books, e-books, music, images, movies and calendars. Please see
www.lulu.com1574 for more information.

Petronella Steevens was born in Haarlem, The Netherlands and lives in Germany. She writes short stories in English as well as in Dutch

More information:
[removed private information - you can reach me here of course]

Let nature have its way
Attached Files
File Type: pdf nway-preview.pdf (430.7 KB, 64 views)

My Blog and more
jvecht is offline   Reply With Quote