DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2006, 08:03 AM   #1
Molly/CA

Default The Fish Book is (almost) real!

Kathleen --feel free to move this where you think it will do the most good (and no smart remarks, please).

As many of you know, my husband (Samuel M. McGinnis) and I have been struggling for four years to get his revision of his UC Press Guide to the Freshwater Fishes of California into print. It's finally happened --insofar as we've gotten advance copies.

The book is supposed to be available from Amazon by September 17th. We'll have some copies available at Amazon's price (34% off on the softcover, $16-something) or less and will be happy to send along signed copies to anyone who wants one, at our price plus postage (or other shipping).

Due to Cal Fish & Game's insane fish-stocking policies, California is well supplied with most of the panfish (Bluegill, Sunfish, Crappie, various catfish and bullheads etc) and gamefish (Black Bass, Striped Bass, trout, salmon and others) that may be found throughout the USA and to some extent in Britain and even Europe. Fishermen and nature lovers might find some interest and amusement (Sam's got good war stories) well outside of California. The Press is rotten at distributing but it's possible the book might appear in a few Borders, B-N's and other bookstores --if anyone should look through it and decide they might like it let us know, if our price is better.

To our surprise, the photo treatment is magnificent. Many of the originals were old filthy slides taken with a camera a friend characterized as "You might as well take pictures through the bottom of a Coke bottle," and they look great. So far as we know the photo handling was all done by pros in Hong Kong.

Doris Alcorn's color pictures, original paintings and color renderings of her original line drawings, didn't fare so well --the color is poor and faded. A great pity as the originals were lovely. But her illustrations are both accurate and lively, as biological illustrations go, and quite serviceable.

I did the cooking section but when I saw the page proofs they'd made such a mess of it that I demanded my name be removed entirely from the book --dedication, acknowledgements, and all, and so terrorized the new editor they'd gotten in to try to unravel the general mess the Natural History division had made that she called up and asked quaveringly if it was OK if the author photo was credited to me! They eventually agreed to correct the worst of the errors that they'd yet again inserted, and the section is usable --supposing it ever was.

Anyone who'd like a copy let me know here and I'll get back to you when we actually have the books (which we were assured would be in the stores by mid-August but oh, well. Amazon seems to have faith, anyway...).

Several of you are up for comps --so don't hesitate to express any degree of interest you may have.

Molly

Last edited by Molly/CA; 10-06-2006 at 02:27 PM. Reason: correct error
Molly/CA is offline   Reply With Quote