DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
jwoolf09

Default Funny CSS border behavior

Help needed, please:

As an experiment, I'm trying to develop a navigation bar using CSS. The bar contains five buttons. I want them to have text over a background image. I also want them to have active effects on a mouse rollover. I didn't want to muck around with positioning, so instead I tried this:

Create a table with one row and five cells. Each cell in the table uses a CSS class to set most of the attributes -- font, text appearance, borders. The borders are 5px outset. Then there's a specific 'style=' attribute for each cell, which sets the background image. So far so good -- I got exactly what I wanted, an outset border around each cell, image inside the border, text overlying the image.

Next I added subclasses for link and hover. These were identical to the base class except that they changed the text color and underlined the text, the way default links behave. The link subclass re-stated the outset border style; the hover subclass changed the border to 'inset.'

At this point the problem appeared: on the linked buttons, the 'outset' and 'inset' border only surround the text, not the whole button. What's going on here, and how can I fix it?
jwoolf09 is offline   Reply With Quote