DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2006, 10:08 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Altered Ego fonts

Lil Milton is a new display face from Altered Ego Fonts. Inspired by a blues musician, it has a slightly off-kilter look; it is also quite legible. I can see it on book covers, as it is naturally narrow. But it has an interesting quality — it has been designed to allow horizontal expansion. I haven’t played with the font so cannot attest to that, but owner Brian Sooy is generally reliable on font issues. (He was one of the few independent type designers to release multiple master fonts; some of the fonts in his current library — notably, Veritas and Verve — are derived from his earlier MM fonts.)

Besides the new font, Altered Ego has several sets of dingbats for web site designers. There is a set of three called the Eclectic Web Toolkit, with specialized sets for particular web functions.

But more useful for most of us, it seems to me, is another font, somewhat confusingly named Eclectic Web. It has 80 icons designed for navigation and other aspects of a web site (including e-commerce icons). They look to be well drawn and distinctive enough to avoid looking like every other site yet familiar enough to be understood. Eclectic PixelWeb has a similar character set, but all drawn in pixels.

The first edition of IndieFonts, a catalog of fonts from independent designers — including Altered Ego, Carter & Cone, Chank, Letterror, P22, and more — is now available for $25 with free shipping within the U.S. It is a nicely printed, well-bound book and it includes a CD with 33 fonts (mostly display fonts) from some of the contributors.

I have this book and the sequel, paying ten bucks more, and consider it as a good value. Among other things, it helps us keep track of the rapidly growing type libraries of the world, especially fonts from small design shops.