DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2006, 08:33 AM   #1
iamback

Default Hardware heat stroke

I've referred to it already: my (ADSL) modem seemed to be dying, probably triggered by the hot weather. It's slightly cooled again to 28C here now - but we missed reaching 30C by 0.1 degree - just too low to be called a heatwave.

Well, the modem is old by now - and old people can get extra-sensitive to heat. I've been limping along by turning it off overnight, allowing it to cool down, and then turning it on again in the morning. That would keep me going to mid-afternoon, with some intermittent problems in-between: like not being able to make a connection from the local test web server to the remote MySQL database - that one kept me busy for a whole afternoon, too... And while FTP'ing lots of stuff (getting a backup of a remote site) I'd suddenly get error messages about FTP not wanting to accept connections from an IP - which was my internal modem's IP. That clued me in to the possible cause of the failing database connection: the user the software was logging on as is allowed only from my (external) IP ... if the modem is somehow reporting something else that's not going to work, of course.

Meanwhile poor old Christiaan's HD has died, too - he can't be booted any more. Which also means I don't have access to my printer and external backup disk any more. Or the majority of my music collection. Sigh...

Too much of that - so I finally got all docs together and installed my (floorware) "new" ADSL wireless router (I got it in November, actually). Surprisingly, without a single problem - I was online very quickly again. Wireless access battened down - I'm not going to use that for now and don't want others to use it in the meantime.

Phew!

Now I'll go out to get some groceries and beer (I need one!). And maybe I'll try to replace Christiaan's HD tomorrow (major operation, pulling furniture aside, crawling to reach cables to disconnect... I'm sure you get the idea.)

Nothing like an (almost) heatwave to trigger hardware updates!

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote