DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2006, 01:39 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Wireless networking questions....

If you may remember, my sister has a new Dell laptop and I've got some questions (very basic!) about wireless networking...

My sister is on Comcast--as I am--and when Comcast came to install her cable modem, they gave her a wireless modem-- Model #WCG200-CC, Comcast Home Networking Wireless-G Cable Gateway, LINKSYS.

The tech didn't actually set up the wireless network (appropriate term???) because her old laptop didn't have wireless--at least I don't think is was set up...

The new laptop does have wireless and I've been doing some research on how to set this up by visiting dslreports.com and their Comcast forum.

I've gathered a bunch of info from there and basically, it appears that what I want to do is to:

1. go to 192.168.0.1 which apparently is some sort of config page

2. enter the userid and password--I have that from a post on the forum--and perhaps something called a SSID--I don't know what that is but I know what to enter there

What I don't know what to do is what I do next...'-}}

Questions:

1. Do I do steps 1 and 2 above with the cable modem cable plugged into my sister's laptop's ethernet port--this is currently how she's running her system.

2. I know that what will become my sister's wireless network needs to be protected with a network password. Where is that set--will it be obvious from the config page? I have printed off Chapter 5 of the Linksys PDF "Using the cable Gateway's web-based utility".

3. For my desktop system, I plug the cable from the cable box into my ethernet card in my pc box but for wireless this obviously isn't what one would do or else it wouldn't be "wireless"...soooo...how does this work??? I've read about a "patch cable" but I don't know what that is.

4. What other questions should I be asking???

Thanks!

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote